Sunday, March 13, 2011

SLEEP, continued…

It’s been a little over two weeks since we started Piper’s sensory input exercises to help with her sleep.

We’ve had intermittent success since then, but now that it’s been FOUR straight nights straight of sleep (several of those she went 6-8 hours in a row without waking up at all), I feel like it’s safe to say that the exercises are a SUCCESS.  Do you hear the angels singing???  No?   Must just be from here.

She’s still “up” for a few minutes every once in awhile, but the fact that she’s able to go BACK to sleep is huge.  Gigantic.  Massive.  Can you tell I’m excited???

One thing I’ve discovered is that, even though I’m very cognizant of making sure that she’s got “stuff” to do that’s stimulating for her little brain, it isn’t enough sensory exposure.  If Piper had a couple of rough nights in a row, I thought that we needed to keep it quiet afterward for a couple of days.  So we’d play it easy at home, read books, do puzzles, and just chill.  Unfortunately, the “quiet” was probably just exasperating the problem. 

So, we’re trying all kinds of new (or not so new), FUN, gross motor things.  Now that the weather is getting nicer, trips to the park will become a frequent MUST.  She’s having to climb the stairs a lot more often.  We’re playing with and on the big yoga balls more. 

I think the reason this really threw me for a loop is because she has NEVER had sensory issues, per se.  She doesn’t mind the feel of things.  She doesn’t care about new textures when she eats.  Admittedly, there are times when it takes her a second or two to really like the feel of something, but I can’t say that I can touch everything in this world without getting queasy here and there, either.  It has certainly never been big enough to worry about. 

I am soooo glad that we’ve gotten this figured out before we add another non-sleeper to the mix in the next couple of months.  I’m not sure I’d survive with two little girls up all night long. 

And I’ve so forgotten how amazing it feels to get real, decent sleep more than one night in a row.  Whooopppppeeee!!!

Now that I’ve admitted all of this, say a prayer, won’t ya, that I didn’t just jinx myself?  Please???

1 comment:

  1. So glad you figured out what helps her sleep. We have to do sensory input, gross motor, for Lucas in order for him to concentrate on a sit down task like a puzzle. It definitely helps. Hope that you continue to get some sleep, I'm sure you didn't jinx yourself ;)

    ReplyDelete