Sunday, July 24, 2011

Singin’ in the Rain

The weather here has been c-r-a-z-y this month.  Usually Colorado weather can be defined as “unpredictable”, but this July has just been weird.

I’m not complaining because, although we’ve had our fair share of hot days, we’ve yet to reach triple digits, and that makes me very very happy. 

We have, however, been inundated with obscene amounts of rain, thunderstorms, lightening, and hail.  Some of the really bad storms were after bedtime, so we worked hard to get the girls to sleep before they started.  Amazingly, miraculously, they both slept through them at night.  That made me very happy.  I figured, with Addy, I could nurse her to calm her down.  But Piper, well, I wasn’t sure what we’d have to do to calm her down as our house was shaking without stopping for hours on end from the thunder.  Nights have been…  interesting, to say the least.

The storms during the day, however, have been a little more hit-or-miss.  If the thunder was really bad, Piper got really nervous.  And clingy.  And whiny.  So I’ve been trying to make a learning experience out of it, and we’ve been talking a lot about weather and experiencing it as much as safety allows.  I even let her play with (not in, lol) the hail the other day- she was none too enthused when she realized it was just ice… 

But the rain, now that’s some fun stuff.  I’ve wondered if “Singin’ in the Rain” could be Piper’s theme song.  On more than one occasion, Piper was running down the driveway, squealing, in the downpour.  Addy and me?  We stayed in the relative safety of the patio…

P1100321

P1100324

P1100322…notice the water droplets in her hair.  She got a little wet.  Even on the covered step… 

Must be nice to have straight hair.  Me, I even think about rain or humidity and my hair starts to resemble Albert Einstein.  Piper, now she can air dry and look just as good as she did before she got wet.  Not sure if I’m relieved or envious…

No comments:

Post a Comment