Saturday, August 8, 2015

A-Hiking We Will Go!

I can't believe summer is already coming to a close.  I have no idea how that happened.  Piper goes back to school a week from Monday.

DSC_0876

DSC_0875

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I'm simultaneously ecstatic, and mourning the loss of slimmer schedules, lax bedtimes, popsicles, swimming...  We ended the year last year in a whole wad of stress.  It’s been so freeing watching the girls blossom this summer.  Now that everyone is in bed asleep, it’s easier for me to say “I just don’t want summer to end!”  …but wait until 10am tomorrow.  My tone may be a tad different…

DSC_0884“Bugs, Addy!  In the cave [hole in the log]!  Look with the magnifying glass!  BUGS!”

So, on our countdown to the school year, we took the kids "hiking" this morning up toward Boulder.  This trail head was awesome with three small kiddos.  No grade, flat path ("sport wheelchair accessible" wins big in my book...), massive amounts of shade, and a stream.  What more could you want?

DSC_0896“See ya!” may be my least favorite Piper-ism to-date.  If she weren’t so dang cute when she said it.

We had an impromptu dinner picnic at the pool on Friday night, so the kids were up late, and were a little tired today.  But we have only four weekend days left before school starts, so, frankly, I didn't care.

DSC_0917Why yes, yes that is my child petting a ladybug.  Gosh I love her!

Piper cared.DSC_0932

Poor munchkin was asking for "lunch at home" by about 100 yards in.  And it was 9:45.

But, she toughed it out (with a few tears) and we made it through.  The many dogs we stopped to pet helped tremendously.  We've been working with the kids on "dog etiquette"- we have two major babies for dogs, and the girls just don't realize that not all dogs like kids.  Piper did great asking "I pet your dog?" and everyone understood her.  It's the little things.

DSC_0872

I promised the girls that on the way back, we could go river walking.  Some of my favorite memories are walking the rivers up in Yellowstone with my mom.  (Not my dad.  My dad's bare feet have never seen the light of day.  River walking is not a sport in which he partakes.)

Cody, ironically, could. not. wait.  He was the only one in non-water-friendly shoes, so he got to go barefoot.  He loved it.  DSC_0951

Until he got cold tooties.DSC_0950

Addy couldn’t get enough.  I think she would have hung out all day long if she could.  She’s ready for Wyoming, Nana!DSC_0965

DSC_0947

Piper, on the other hand, wasn’t a huge fan of getting into freezing water, thankyouverymuch, and she was more concerned about how much longer until lunchtime (it was now 11, mind you.)  And because she was tired, her sensory issues came into play with the “but we don’t wear shoes in water!!!” argument.  And since Cody didn’t have to wear shoes…  It was a little rough. 

But not as rough as it was when she biffed it slipping on a rock and ended up soaked in said icy water. 

It was a good end to the day.  But nothing a spare mommy shirt that was left in the nice warm car couldn’t solve

The girls and Luke are currently asleep in a tent in the backyard. 

I’ll keep you posted as to how that turns out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment