Wednesday, August 1, 2012

Adalynn Update


This is our goofy kid, Addy, who, if you remember, topped the naughty record previously held by Piper. 

Since a lot has happened since June 25, I thought I’d give a quick update.

Addy had an EKG on July 6 which she hated.  You’d think that it burned or poked or drew blood or something.  “Overdramatic”, I’m afraid, may be one of her key descriptors… 

While we waited for the results of that, she had an EEG on July 9. This. was. terrible. She screamed the entire time. The tech that was doing it joked that “she’s seen it all” as far as fits, but even admitted at the end that she was “thoroughly impressed.” Major kudos to those mamas who have to do these routinely. Good grief, I could go a lifetime without another one, thankyouverymuch.  It took a few days to get those results back, but it was clean as well. Phew! I was super glad to get that over with… We see Neurology on Friday this week (August 3) and fully expect to hear “until it happens again, we’ll just wait and see…”


Later in the week after the EEG, we got the results that the EKG looked normal on the first read, but on a second read done by the head of the department, they thought they saw something that could be a BIG deal (as in something that causes the high school basketball player to have a heart attack during a game and pass away…)  We elected to go in for another EKG and an echo, just to rule it out.

The best part about this whole ordeal was that the amazing Heart Institute at Children’s got us in in two days.  And that included an appointment with the cardiologist- not just the tests.  That meant that we could have it done, and know what it meant, before we took off on a plane to the other side of the country.  Of course it meant that the day before we left I spent the day at the hospital (July 16), but I won’t complain.  Can you say “meant to be?”

She did much better this day, and so long as I kept her mouth full of yogurt puffs, we did okay.  Her heart is structurally perfect.  The cardiologist did say that her event could have been caused by some systems that regulate blood pressure, but that until she has another episode, the testing was more rigorous than the situation warranted.  So, unless something else happens, we’re cleared from that clinic.


So, in short, we don’t have a clue what happened.  Reassuring, huh?

It’s been a rough month since it happened.  I’m totally ticked off that, after everything we’ve gone through with Piper, I’m back in this scared-out-of-my-wits place again.  How is it fair???  Haven’t we paid our dues?  I know that, when you have a baby, you have no guarantee about what your future holds.  I guess I was just naïve in “knowing” that everything would be easy this time around.  I know that this is really not a big deal in comparison to so many.  I know that.  But it doesn’t make it any more fun.  There’s something so unnerving about not knowing what it was.  All anyone can say is that it was a very concerning, very significant event.  And not that I want anything to be wrong- we didn’t want them to find anything- but it’s kind of hard to sit back and pray that it never happens again.

So, in the meantime, we’re enjoying her spunk and her zest for life (life must be a blast, because she enjoys her days so much she extends them late into the nights…)  The child is a dare devil, ornerier than sin, and cute as can be.  I’m afraid this little munchkin may give us a real run for our money…


No comments:

Post a Comment